I love art. It’s one of those activities where you can express yourself, and have LOTS of fun while doing it. You don’t need to be a good artist to love art.
Lately, I’ve been interested in a new activity that I’ve heard of before, but never put much thought to. It is: art journaling. It’s super fun, and when you are journaling, there are no wrong answers.
I want to try something new on my blog, so today, I’m going to give a tutorial on how YOU can make your own art journal!
To make your art journal, you will need:
- A notebook, sketchbook, or journal. I use this one from Barnes and Noble.
- Pencils, pens, markers, paints, glue, etc. (Basically, any art supplies you want to use.)
- Imagination 😉
Now, you can start creating the background for the pages of art in your journal. Here are some techniques I use to make my backgrounds:
- I make dollops of paint on the page and blend them together with my finger. Then, I use a card (e.g. an old room key from a hotel) and scrape off the excess paint. You’ll get something like this:
- Tip: In order to keep paint off of the spiral and top of the page, I use a bit of masking tape to keep the area clean. When I’m done, I peel the tape off. I also put a bit of wax paper under the page I’m working on, so my paint doesn’t spread onto other pages.
- Another idea for your background is to use just one solid color, or do a pattern. The sky is the limit!
- Also, you can use sheet music, and mod podge or glue it onto the page. Then, if you want to, you can paint over it with a light-colored paint.
After you have made your background, it’s time to add decorations onto the page. You can choose a theme for the page, or just do a journaling page of complete randomness! Some ideas of what you could do for your decorations are:
- Paint or write a quote onto some paper and glue it on.
- Use pieces of scrapbook paper or stickers, and stick them on.
- Paint a picture of yourself! (or a flower, or a heart, or a hot dog…)
- Glue down some magazine clippings or a bookmark.
- Write in a bible verse.
- You can paint, draw, or create anything and add it in! It is your art journal, you do what you love.
It is fun to create your art with someone you love. I love art journaling with my sister, Anna. She’s given me lots of tips and has helped me to get started with art journaling. Doing art with someone can give you inspiration.
After you think your page is complete, take a step back, and take a good, long look at your masterpiece! Great job, you’ve done it! Now, keep going, keep making your beautiful art!
* * * * * * * * *
Thanks for reading this ‘different’ type of blog post. I hope you liked it, and I really hope it inspired you to make your own art journal. If you do decide to start art journaling, you should connect with me on Facebook or comment down below. I’d love to hear how you journal!
Remember: you don’t have to be an amazing artist to express yourself and have a ton of fun making your own, personal, unique art journal!
Take a look at some the pages from my art journal for some inspiration or just to see what it’s like to art journal. Pictures below. 🙂